Connected speech

 






Connected speech occurs when speakers smooth out transitions between words to preserve rhythm and speed, modifying individual sounds through linking, elision, and weak forms.

Core Mechanics & Examples

PhenomenonWritten FormConnected PronunciationSound Mechanism
LinkingConsonant to Vowel"Check it out" → Check-i-toutFinal consonant connects directly to the following vowel sound.
ElisionDropping Sounds"Next door" → Nex-doorThe final /t/ or /d/ sound disappears before another consonant.
Weak FormsReduced Vowels"Fish and chips" → Fish-n-chipsUnstressed structure words reduce to schwa (/É™/) sounds.
AssimilationSound Blending"Did you..." → Didja.../d/ + /j/ merge into a soft /dÊ’/ ("j") sound.

Practice Conversation: "Weekend Plans"

Context: Two friends meeting at a coffee shop on a Friday afternoon.

Maya (Standard Written): What are you going to do this weekend? Do you want to come to the beach with us?

Maya (Connected Speech): "Whaddya gonna do this weekend? D'ya wanna come to the beach with us?"

Liam (Standard Written): I am not sure yet. I have got to finish my project for work first.

Liam (Connected Speech): "I'm not sure yet. I've gotta finish my project fer work first."

Maya (Standard Written): You should have started it last night!

Maya (Connected Speech): "You shoulda started it las' night!"

Liam (Standard Written): I know, but I was out with family until late. Let me check and see if I can finish it by five o'clock.

Liam (Connected Speech): "I know, bu' I was out with family'ntil late. Lemme check'n see if I can finish it by five-o-clock."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(FCE) First Certificate English Test example

Verb Table For Quick Reference

Building sentences in English (Daily English)